Feb 26, 2008

So, You Wanna Know About My Trip????

This trip was amazing. I wrote last Monday night how nice of a guy Nick was and the rest of our week was amazing, too. We worked on Nick's house in Lake Charles for Monday and Tuesday, working on getting it livable for him and his family. Lots of painting and caulking for us gals while the boys did a lot with plumbing, doors, and other things in the kitchen. Half of us worked there on Thursday. I learned how to use a Miter Saw and actually cut a corner!! Here is my corner that I'm very proud of. Ain't it perty??


On Wednesday we went to Cameron Parish, literally 300 yards from the Gulf, to work on a trailer. This family came home after Rita to find their mobile home in a U shape. They got $7000 from FEMA and bought what they could -- another trailer which had weathered the storm. We tore up her bathroom tile to lay new flooring, both her toilets to replace them, put in new a new counter and cabinets, and I learned how to use a Jigsaw to cut beaded paneling that we hung in the kitchen. I want to note our drive to Cameron. We drove past so many foundations with nothing on top of them, stairs that led to nowhere. Warehouses where the walls had caved in but the framings till remained. Boats on land with no water in sight. It doesn't hit you, really, that people lost everything until you see that. It doesn't matter what you see on the news. TO see that IN PERSON is... humbling.

Anyway, for pictures, here is the link to my Facebook album. You should be able to view it, but if not please leave a comment and I will fix it. Check out my pictures here. I had so many I needed another album.

No comments:

Post a Comment