May 5, 2010

Resolution #4

Remember my New Year's Resolutions? Remember the list of books I said I would read? I am halfway failing at this resolution, but only because I haven't touched any of the books on my list. I have, however, read 2 books on faith that I know will help my in my role as a youth minister.

Your Own Jesus: A God Insistent on Making it Personal
This one was written by Casting Crowns' front man Mark Hall. He begins the book by telling of a time when he wanted to take his own life because of a breakup with a girl he thought he would marry -- in high school. He talks about how he knew who Jesus and God were -- he had, after all, been baptized at 7 -- but he didn't KNOW them. In college was when he really started living life with a real relationship with God. The whole book is full of stories relating back to this point. We can talk about God and Jesus all we want, but until we really own our relationship with Him, until we truly seek Him and His will for us, it's not REAL. This book was awesome. It's easy to read while still having substance.

Forgotten God: Reversing Our Tragic Neglect of the Holy Spirit
This is Francis Chan's second book, after the huge hit "Crazy Love." I haven't read Crazy Love yet because he tells the read to do a lot of stuff on the computer and since I read at work while the kids are napping I can't exactly do that. Anyway, in this book, Chan addresses the discrepancy that is taking over the church: we aren't living as if the Spirit is in us. Chan writes in a way that is engaging and convicting, pointing out that many Christians' lives don't look that much different from nonbelievers because of this reason -- we aren't letting the Holy Spirit move in us. Great book with a great message!

I'll try and write a little more about each of these at a later date. I'm currently reading The Screwtape Letters for a second time. I was in high school the first time I read it and I'm getting a lot more out of it now that I'm older and more mature in my faith. I love how C.S. Lewis writes from the POV of demons. If you haven't heard of or read the book, it's a series of "letters" written by Screwtape, an elder demon, to his nephew Wormwood, on how to be an effective tempter to his "patient." Lewis is basically saying, "Be careful because this is how it gets to you, watch out!" But when told like this, I definitely pay attention better. I leave you with an excerpt from it (remember the POV from which it it told):

We want cattle who can finally be food; He wants servants who fan finally become sons. We want to suck in; He wants to give out. We are empty and would be filled; He is full and flows over.

No comments:

Post a Comment