May 18, 2010

Tonight's Dinner

So last night I was trying to think of what to cook for dinner. I am NOT adventurous and have little experience with cooking anything that isn't out of a box, so I can't just say, "Oh we have X, Y, and Z... Let's make A!" Nope, doesn't work that way. As a result, J and I eat a LOT of pasta, taco salad, and baked chicken. Said baked chicken is usually marinated in Italian dressing (we tried a lemon pepper marinade once and it bubble over the sides of the pan I was using and I had to scrape it off the next day because my oven would smoke when I turned it on). Or we grill it, either with Italian dressing or BBQ sauce.

Last night I knew I wanted to try SOMETHING a little different. We have no pork or beef, so it chicken it was... but WHAT? HOW? I logged on to allrecipes.com and typed in chicken and slow cooker and, of course a bajillion recipes came up, but then I found this one:

Zesty Slow Cooker Chicken Barbecue

Best of all? I already had EVERY SINGLE ingredient (which doesn't happen often in my hosue because, like I said, I'm not a cook). So I hoped and prayed that J would put the chicken I pulled out and the sauce I made into the crock pot before leaving for work, and that my crock pot wouldn't burn it before I got home.

Verdict: Amazing. Incredibly simple, and completely delicious. This will probably become a staple in our menu. I love the feeling of success I have now that I've taken that first leap and made something off of the internet. Because, honestly? It's not liek I burn water or anything, but I'm so uneasy about cooking in general that it freaks me out if I'm not using a box or something from a jar. OR popping something in the oven out of the freezer. But I'm sure to cook much more often now that A) My first foray has been successful, and B) I almost have all of my weeknights back.

1 comment:

  1. If I could legally, I would marry my crockpot. I love that thing.

    ReplyDelete