Feb 7, 2011

Cooking

I've never been much of a cook. I am too afraid that I'll burn/overseason/undercook whatever I'm making and waste all that food. I really need to take some lessons with more experienced cooks, like G at church whose food is DELISH. As a result, we have the same things over and over again.

Here are some staples in our house:
-Tacos
-Sloppy Joes
-Jambalaya
-Burgers and homemade fries
-Zesty BBQ Chicken

I've started to explore other things to make, especially those on SkinnyTaste.com. Gina takes classic recipes and finds a healthier way to make them. She posts all nutrition info, including Weight Watchers points (old and new). About a week and a half ago, I bit the bullet:

That is "Crock Pot Chicken Taco Chili" (image from the website). I made it a few weeks ago and it was AMAZING. Last time I made it I only used half a can of kidney beans because I am not a bean person, and because I was making it for 2 people. I also only used one can of diced tomatoes. And I didn't have any cumin or cilantro and I didn't add chili peppers. It was plenty spicy, though, because the only taco seasoning I had in the house was the hot and spicy blend by Old El Paso. I ate it alone and with macaroni noodles, fresh out of the crock pot, and as leftovers. No matter when you make or eat this, it's wonderful. I'm making it again today and again for our church's chili supper in about 3 weeks.

The fact that we both enjoyed this (and I would say I can be fairly picky) means it's made its way into our meal rotation, and that I'm more interested in trying new recipes. I have a few more that are on my list to try:

Chicken Pot Pie Soup
Chicken Enchiladas
Lighter Macaroni and Cheese (mostly because J LOVES his mom's mac & cheese but I'm not a big fan)
Skinny Sloppy Joes
Baked Ziti with Spinach
Baked Chipotle Sweet Potato Frieds

1 comment: