Sep 5, 2011

Yum!

For dinner last night, I made an incredibly easy recipe that I wanted to pass on.  You can find the original recipe here, but I honestly altered it a little bit based on some of the reviews, so here is my recipe, with added or altered stuff in blue:



Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1/2 onion, finely chopped
  • 1 tbs minced garlic
  • 3/4 pound cubed skinless, boneless chicken breast meat
  • 1/2 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
  • 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 (8.75 ounce) can sweet corn, drained
  • 1/2 cup salsa
  • 1 can of green chiles
  • 1 cup shredded Mexican-style cheese
  • 1 1/2 cups crushed plain tortilla chips

Directions

  1. In a large skillet over medium high heat, saute onion and garlic in the oil for about 5 minutes.
  2. Add chicken, taco seasoning, beans, corn, salsa, and chiles. Cover skillet and simmer over medium low heat for 10 minutes.
  3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  4. Transfer chicken mixture to a 9x9 inch baking dish. Top with 1/2 cup of the cheese
  5. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Add remaining 1/2 cup cheese and tortilla chips and bake until cheese is melted and bubbly.

I actually didn't use a can of corn.  I used about a cup of frozen corn instead and it made it really watery, so I would make sure to actually use a can of corn or cook some frozen corn first.

J and I LOVED this.  It's definitely in our rotation and it made enough that more than half was leftover (I'm going to have some for lunches this week) once we had our fill.

(Sidenote... Paulie LOVES chicken.  We don't eat at our kitchen table, we eat on the couch -- bad habit I know -- and Paulie jumped up and sat staring at both of us like, "I smell chicken.  Gimme some chicken!"  Such a sweet boy.)

No comments:

Post a Comment