Apr 1, 2012

Back to the Beginning....

Today was day #1 of my first Facebook fast. I had at least 4 people mention it to me at church this morning. So far it's going okay. I realized today that the only thing I'll really miss is posting things. It's not even the checking to see what everyone is doing. In church this morning, I wanted to share a piece of Scripture from Isaiah 53 via my YouVersion app and then realized -- wait! I can't do that!  Haha.

Anyway, I chose this week because one thing that I NEVER do as often as I should is get in the Word. I mean, I'm awful about it. And it's not like I spend a whole lot of time on FB, either. It's just easy to get sucked into it. So in lieu of Facebook this week I am getting in it. And I'm memorizing the first of 3 Scripture passages: Psalm 51:1-7. I think it's fitting because it is a Psalm of confession.

I was listening to a sermon this week about idolatry and the preacher made a good point in saying that anything that comes before Jesus is an idol. I (and a lot of people, I'm sure) have an image in our minds about what that means. It means it consumes you. It's all you can think about. It's an obssession. But in reality, an idol doesn't have to be something that consumes you. Facebook becomes an idol for me any and every time I choose to check statuses instead of read Scripture or pray. Even if I only take five minutes to do it, it can often be the wrong choice to make in those five minutes.

Now, I'm not saying that Facebook is bad and no one should ever have Facebook or that I will be getting rid of my Facebook. I've just recognized that this is an area in which I falter, and this is one step I need to make to right my path, so to say...

But that doesn't mean I'm taking a break from blogging. I actually have a few things on my heart that I want to write about, so I will be doing that soon. =)  Happy Palm Sunday! Enjoy your Holy Week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment