Mar 26, 2012

Things I'm LOVING

Here is what is going on in my life right now. Things I'm enjoying, maybe even mildly obsessing over...

1. Spotify
Do you Spotify? It's free to have on your computer, and you can listen to pretty much anything you want, as long as it's available on Spotify. You can make playlists, recommend tracks to friends who use Spotify (you can connect to Facebook), and install some of their apps into the music browser to make your music listening more enjoyable.  It's like Pandora, but you have control over what you listen to. I pay $9.99 a month to have Spotify Premium and listen to my music on my phone (HTC Incredible 2 running Android 2.3.4). J also has a subscription because we were sharing mine and it would kick one or the other off when we tried to listen. Totally worth the $20/month between the two of us (because, frankly, it holds his CD obsession at bay until the new CDs he wants go on sale). I have several playlists at the moment. I'm loving my "Sing to the King" playlist, which is a bunch of worship songs I enjoy.

2. The Hunger Games
I, like most of the world, read the books a while back (shortly after they announced they were making a movie) and LOVED them. While I think the first book was the best of the trilogy, the whole series definitely gave me and everyone else something to think about.  For example, reality TV: In the world of Panem, everything about the Hunger Games was broadcast. Everything. There were cameras in rocks, trees, the mud... Katniss knew that everything she was doing was being broadcast to the entire country because that's what had been done for each of the past 74 Games. How far away from that are we? Our country is obsessed with reality TV... Survivor is not that much different than the world of the Hunger Games, really.
Anyway, I was anxiously awaiting the movie.  Some people don't like seeing movie adaptations of books they loved because they are always disappointed. And I think that on some level, if you go in expecting everything exactly how you pictured it in the book, you will be disappointed.  Because unless your name is Suzanne Collins or Gary Ross, it's not your interpretation. However, I try to stay as open minded as possible because books and movies are two totally different media. I thought the movie delivered. It was one of the best book-to-movie adaptions I have ever seen. Yes, there are some things they changed, but overall I walked out of there feeling like I saw a great book brought to life. They only showed The Hob briefly, but it was what I always pictured. And the stark contrast between the impoverished District 12 and the elaborate, superficial Capitol? A-freaking-mazing. I'm not going to talk too much more about it in case you haven't seen it. Just know that I loved it and can't wait to see it again. J and I are going to see it on Sunday. (I saw HP7.2 like 5 or 6 times in the theaters, and I can see that happening again with this movie.)

3. Laughing Cow Light Swiss Cheese and Pretzels.
YUM. That's all I really need to say about that. =)

4. Draw Something
I don't often pay for apps, but this one was worth 99c in just the two days since I've bought it. I have a gazillion games going and I love it. It's so fun to see how other people interpret the different words. I'm even playing against my friend who is a graphic artist. So his drawings are ALWAYS better than mine. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment