Aug 22, 2009

The Time Traveler's Wife

I have been looking forward to this movie since I found out they were turning the book into a movie about a year and a half ago. (Release was supposed to be last summer, but they had to reshoot some things and his head had been shaved or something for another movie, so they had to push it back.) From the previews, it looked wonderful, but I wad worried that I would be disappointed, which happens a LOT when you love a book so much, like I did. This book is EASILY one of my top five.

I am pleased to report that I was not disappointed.

Firstly, the chemistry between Bana and Rachel McAdams was amazing. They were perfect together. Overall, casting was perfect and exactly how I had pictured just about everything.

The writers did a good job of picking things to keep and things to throw out, and how to change some things to make it more appealing for the screen. The latter was my biggest concern; so much of the novel is told through narration of Henry and Clare, so I was worried about how everything would be conveyed without that insight into the characters' POV. This is something else I owe to the amazing casting. McAdams, once again, is able to convince us that she is head-over-heels in love and delivers a heart-breaking portrayal of a woman who is always waiting for her husband as he disappears for hours, days, even weeks on end.

The aspect of the time traveling was well-done as well. I had hoped it wouldn't be too confusing for the average person who hadn't read the book to follow, but it was very well done. In fact, I even think it was easier to follow than the book.

I especially liked the ending. I think I might even like it better than the book. But I won't tell you why or what happens because I'm not that cruel. All I know is that you should go see it. Now.

No comments:

Post a Comment