Nov 18, 2010

Confession Time

I lost my temper at work yesterday.  No child was hurt, nothing got broken, etc, but I did realize that I don't like working with twos anymore.  It was a good "Get my foot in the door and get some experience" job but it's not what I want to teach.  There are a few kids that if their parents asked me to nanny for them I would do it in a heartbeat, but the fact of the matter is I don't really WANT to do that, either.

I had a job interview today (scheduled last week... purely coincidence) at a center in Maryland Heights that seems to be EXACTLY the job I would like to have.  You walk in the door and you can tell -- LEARNING HAPPENS HERE.  There's art all over the walls, the walls are bright, and there is a very low turnover rate which means they treat people right.  This position is a Pre-K position and a lot of my past job experiences might really help me nail this job -- they teach them swim lessons in the summer but "it would be nice to have someone know what they're doing."  They have all the CPR stuff but no one to teach it.

She said she was doing preliminary interviews and would be calling about secondary interviews.  I told her I'm headed out of town Dec 2 (the next available day I'd be able to come in) but could come by that morning since we can't leave till J is off of work.  She said, "I'll call you anyway because I think you're a good fit, so let's just schedule it now."  Whee!

I really want this job.  The hours vary -- always 4 10 hr. days but not the same shift day after day after day -- and the pay I asked for seemed acceptable to her.  And it's an independent center, which means no corporate people breathing down our necks about enrollment (my least favorite thing about my current center).

It's not a 2nd grade classroom, but it's closer than where I am now, and they implement multiple intelligences int heir curriculum (Google it... Howard Gardner is the man who created the theory).  Ah, can you tell how badly I want this job?  I don't want to get my hopes up though, because the last time in interviewed for a pre-K position I didn't get it and was freaking CRUSHED.  But, God has a plan, right?  I'm just trying to hold on till He clues me in.  =)

2 comments:

  1. This job sounds perfect. I'll keep my fingers crossed and pray that this time it works out for you! =-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toddlers are TOUGH. I think sometimes the only reasons mine survive the day is because Mommy can go put myself in a time out while they watch cartoons.

    Hopefully this new job will be it, and if not, hopefully something will open soon!

    ReplyDelete