Nov 19, 2010

SWITCHFOOT

I'm a HUGE Switchfoot fan and have been since their "Learning to Breathe" days in the early 2000's.  They bring back memories of high school and driving to swim practice with Jen.  =)  Their earlier stuff is more "Christian" than most of their newer stuff has been.  They're actually my "gateway band."  They led me into other Christian rock bands (like Jars of Clay, By the Tree, and Tree63).  It was because they weren't obviously  Christian (you won't really hear them singing blatantly about God but you know that's Who they're singing about) that made them so appealing.

The Beautiful Letdown was a fabulous CD, but their 2 subsequent CDs were major letdowns to me.  They had signed to Columbia and I feel like the just sold out -- their music was, just, not them.  Not that I expected them to become a "real" Christian Rock band, but they got so far away form their roots that I was disappointed.  They  were still singing about the downfalls of mankind, but I felt like there was a disconnect.

Their most recent project, Hello Hurricane totally redeemed them in my eyes, though.  They were on an independent label and I feel like they've really reconnected with their calling and purpose that God gave them -- to reach people without being in their face about the love of God, to spread the Good News in a way that works for them, and that people are receptive to.

Anyway, that whole spiel was to lead in to a few videos.  The first is "The Sound (John M. Perkins' Blues)" which is totally their sound and why I love them.  Socially minded lyrics,


This second one is probably my favorite song off of this album -- in fact, it's currently my ringtone.  What I  LOVE LOVE LOVE about it is that it's actually part of a three song sort of trilogy (Your Love is Strong and Let Your Love be Strong) and it's about God's love and how it is EVERYWHERE.  "Your love is a melody underneath me."  LOVE!


PS: I didn't know an acoustic bass guitar existed.   Guess I was wrong!

No comments:

Post a Comment