Mar 18, 2008

R.I.P. David

Jerome's cousin killed himself yesterday morning.

This was the cousin that Jerome shared an apartment with. Thankfully, Jerome was not the one who found him, but he now needs to try and get out of his lease; I don't blame him. He can't swing $600/month's rent and even if he could why would he want to stay? As far as grieving, he's being Jerome -- stoic and quiet. THe only time I saw him shed a tear yesterday was when his mother called.

The whole family is shocked. I'm shocked. J and I JUST saw him on Sunday afternoon and he seemed fine. Neither of us ever picked up on any depression symptoms. And I know about all the "signs of depression" or "Symptoms of suicidal thoughts." And you know what? I saw none of them. None of us saw any of it. Does that make us blind or does that make David a really good faker? Or did something just snap inside him? I guess these are questions that will never be answered. For now we're all grieving the loss of a bright 21 year old with such potential.

What went wrong??

2 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about your loss. I wanted to let you know that my old neighbor was able to get out of their lease when their mother died with a death certificate. I'm sure your FI could even just show the apartment manager the obituary and get out of his lease fairly easily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shared two classes with him this semester at UMSL, and I'm completely shocked ... he seemed like just a normal careless young-20's guy. I didn't know him well, but I can't imagine what stresses in life could bring somebody to that. I feel awful about it. My condolences to his friends and family.

    ReplyDelete