Apr 8, 2009

Worship Wednesdays #2

This week I really wanted to put up a video of "My Redeemer Lives." It's a song that just makes Easter Easter at our church 'cause it's pretty much amazing. BUT I couldn't find a video of my favorite version, so I may have tojust post an MP3 of it next week.

This week, instead, I have chosen "Mighty to Save." It's also very Easter-ish. We wanted to include it in our Easter service this weekend, but there just wasn't any room. So we'll probably do it next week.

Anyway, the worship team from Hillsong Church in Australia wrote this amazing song. It's so full of truth and passion. Here, watch the video:



This song is amazing. The lyrics ring true and are touching, and always create an amazing Spirit-filled atmosphere when we sing it in church.

"everyone needs compassion, the kindness of a Savior... let mercy fall on me." EVERYONE needs compassion. I think all too often Christians get caught up in this "I'm saved, you're not, that means I'm better than you." WHICH IS NOT GOOD. Hello! Jesus died for us ALL because we're all sinners!! Why are we any better than people who have yet to accept the "kindness of a Savior?" Just because we have come to the realization that we can't possibly live without Jesus doesn't mean we're any better off. (I mean, we are because of the whole eternal life thing, but you know what I'm saying?? I hate that "holier than thou" attitude that a lot of CHristians get.)

The other lyric that gets me is "I give my life to follow/everything I believe in... now I surrender." This is what a lot of people have trouble with in giving their life over, I think. It's what I struggled with... I LIKE being in control. I LIKE knowing what is comign next and how it will happen. It took years for me to give everything to Him and I still struggle with it. A lot of people think that once you're a Christian, everything is hunky-dory and you never have to worry about anything again because everything will go exactly the way you want. Which, any Christian can tell you, does NOT happen. If it did, J and I would be debt free and in our own house, because that is what I really want right now.

What is more important to recognize is the peace that comes when you really surrender that. I'm looking for a teaching job fo rthe fall, right? most of you know that. I'm a little worried that I won't find one, but ultimately, I've given it up to God. He'll provide for J and I until we can really be on our feet (He's done it in the past... I've no reason to think He won't). I think that some people think I'm too nonchalant about finding a job. Trust me -- I'm not. I have my applicationa nd resume out to pretty much every district in STL and STC counties. It's a matter of trusting that He'll lead me to the right job in the right school.

This song has made an impact in a lot of people's lives, as evidenced by how many other artists have recorded it: Laura Story, Michael W. Smith, and Seventh Day Slumber. I truly hope its words and the message God is saying through it has touched YOUR life.

Got any suggestions for next week? Let me know! And let me know what you think about this week's song choice!

No comments:

Post a Comment