Apr 23, 2009

Worship Wednesdays #4

(A little late... sorry)

This week: Matthew West: The Motions



When I was kid, my least favorite chore was cleaning the bathroom. I especially hated cleaning the shower. So I'd do it real fast. Then my mom would make me do it again, LOL, telling me not to just "Go through the motions."

Sometimes I have to sit back and think about how much of my life for Christ is "going through the motions," you know? I think a lot of us get comfortable in our lives and our faith that we get lazy, and just go to church and sing the worship songs, and pray when we're supposed to, but then Mon-Sat we don't give Jesus a second glance. I'll be the first to admit that I don't read my Bible as often as I should, nor do I pray as often as I should. There are some weeks where I ask not to participate in leading worship, because I think I lose focus there, too.

God wants us to be hot or cold, not lukewarm, and when we go through the motions, we are exactly that -- lukewarm. Jesus wants to live in us, through us. And sometimes I wonder if I'm living up to my full potential as a Christian in my life. Yes, I go to church, yes I'm involved in youth groups, yes I even work at a Christian book store... But how much of that is genuine all. the. time?

I think it's an important question for everyone to ask, and an important flaw that non-Christians should notice. We're not perfect. So many Christian want to give this image of, "just give your life to Christ and everything will be hunky-dory" when in reality it's not. We all falter. We all fail sometimes. And when we do, we just pick ourselves back up and refocus.

But I leave you today to ponderr how much of your faith life is just going through the motions, and how much is genuine? And is that really the kind of faith you want to have??

No comments:

Post a Comment