Apr 15, 2009

Worship Wednesdays #3

So, funny story. Last week when I showed up at rehearsal for Easter, our worship arts director had pulled one of the more traditional songs and plugged in Mighty to Save. That song is too perfect for Easter for us NOT to have done it, you know? Ha. As I said in my last post, Easter was awesome: so celebratory, yet reflective. There's always so much energy at my church on Easter. "My Redeemer Lives" is a tradition at our church on Easter and we tell our drummer to go crazy w/ it 'cause there's a part where it's just drums while we're singing, and boy did he deliver!!!

Anyway, on to this week's post.

Peter Furler is the only original member of the Newsboys left, and he's no longer touring with the band, which buums me out, but on the band's Faith and Fame on GMC, he said that knowing he's left the world with a worship song like "He Reigns" is a wonderful legacy. And I can't agree more. A simple song, with a simple chorus, "He Reigns" has turned into an anthem of sorts, a song of unity:



Hallelujah, He reigns, indeed. My sr. high youth kids ask the occassional questions about different denominations (why there are so many, what they believe, etc.) and I always try to make sure to remind them that we all (mostly) have a belief in the Bible, in God, and in the redeeming power of Jesus's death on the cross. The song that the Newsboys wrote speaks about the unity we can all find in just being God's people. Spreading the Word, the Gospel, the Light. All of that is what makes us Christians: not how we look at communion, not whether we are pre/post/amillenials... It's that belief in Jesus Christ, that belief in God that makes us God's people throughout the world.

(PS: I wanted to embed the official video for this song, but embedding wasn't allowed, so watch it on YouTube

1 comment:

  1. I love News Boys and am soooo sad about the original band not being together anymore, they were amazing! And this is a great song!

    ReplyDelete